A lithium battery used with your manpack radio contains pressurized sulfur dioxide gas The gas is toxic, and
the battery MUST NOT be abused In any way which may cause the battery to rupture.
DO NOT heat, short circuit, crush, puncture, mutilate or disassemble batteries.
DO NOT USE any battery which shows signs of damage such as bulging, swelling, disfigurement, a brown
liquid, in the plastic wrap, a swollen wrap, etc
DO NOT test lithium batteries for capacity.
DO NOT recharge lithium batteries
DO NOT dispose of lithium batteries with ordinary trash/ refuse. Turn in discharged batteries to local supply
If the battery compartment becomes hot to the touch If you hear a hissing or burping (i.e. battery venting), or
smell irritating gas (sulfur dioxide). IMMEDIATELY TURN OFF the equipment and leave the area.
1. Allow the equipment to cool at least one hour
2. Remove and replace the battery after the equipment has cooled to the touch.
3. If there is a safety incident, or if you believe a safety hazard exists notify your local Safety Office/Officer.
file a Product Quality Deficiency Report, SF Form 368 and notify the CECOM Safety Office, Ft
Monmouth, NJ at AV 995-3112
DO NOT use a Halon type fire extinguisher on a lithium battery fire.
In the event of a fire near a lithium battery(les), rapid cooling of the battery(les) is important. Flood the
equipment with water, or use a carbon dioxide (CO,) extinguisher Control of the equipment fire and cooling
may prevent the battery from venting and potentially exposing lithium metal In the event that the lithium metal
becomes involved in fire, the use of a graphite based Class D fire extinguisher is recommended.
DO NOT store batteries in unused equipment
DO NOT store lithium batteries with other hazardous materials. Keep them away from open flame or heat.