A Iithium battery used with your manpack radio contains
pressurized sulfur dioxide gas. The gas is toxic, and the
battery MUST NOT be abused in any way which may
cause the battery to rupture.
DO NOT heat, short circuit, crush, puncture, mutilate,
or disassemble batteries.
DO NOT USE any battery which shows signs of damage,
such as bulging, swelling, disfigurement, a brown Iiquid
in the plastic wrap, a swollen wrap, etc.
DO NOT test lithium batteries for capacity.
DO NOT recharge lithium batteries.
DO NOT dispose of Iithium batteries with ordinary trash/
refuse. Turn in discharged batteries to local supply.
If the battery compartment becomes hot to the touch,
if you hear a hissing or burping (i.e. battery venting), or
smell irritating gas (sulfur dioxide), IMMEDIATELY TURN
OFF the equipment and leave the area.
1. Allow the equipment to cool at least one hour.
2. Remove and replace the battery after the equipment
has cooled to the touch,
3. If there is a safety incident, or if you believe a safety
hazard exists, notify your local Safety Office/Officer,
file a Product Quality Deficiency Report. SF Form
368, and notify the CECOM Safety Office, Ft. Mon-
mouth, NJ at AV 995-3112.
DO NOT use a HaIon type fire extinguisher on a Iithium
In the event of a fire near a Iithium battery (ies), rapid
cooling of the battery (ies) is important. Flood the equip-
ment with water, or use a carbon dioxide (CO2) extin-
guisher. Control of the equipment fire and cooling may
prevent the battery from venting and potentially exposing
Iithium metal. In the event that the lithium metal becomes
involved in fire, the use of a graphite based Class D fire
extinguisher is recommended.
DO NOT store batteries in unused equipment.
DO NOT store Iithium batteries with other hazardous
materials. Keep them away from open flame or heat.