A Iithium battery used with your manpack radio contains pressurized sulfur
dioxide gas. The gas is toxic, and the battery MUST NOT be abused in any
way which may cause the battery to rupture.
DO NOT heat, short clrcuit, puncture, mutilate, or disassemble batteries.
DO NOT USE any battery which shows signs of damage, such as bulging,
swelling, disfigurement, a brown liquid in the plastic wrap, a swollen plastic
DO NOT test lithium batteries for capacity.
DO NOT recharge lithium batteries.
DO NOT dipose of lithium batteries with ordinary trash/refuse. Turn in
discharged batteries to local supply.
If the battery compartment becomes hot to the touch, if you hear hissing or
burping (i.e. battery venting), or smell irritating gas (sulfer dioxide),
IMMEDIATELY TURN OFF the equlpment and leave the area.
Allow the equipment to cool at least one hour.
Remove and replace battery after the equipment has cooled to the touch.
If there is a safety incident, or if you believe a safety hazard exists, notify
you local Safety Office/Officer, file a Product Quality Deficiency Report,
SF Form 368, and notify the CECOM Safety Office, Ft. Monmouth, NJ at
DO NOT se a Halon type fire extinguisher on a lithium battery fire.
In the event of a fire near a lithium battery(ies), rapid cooling of the lithium
battery(ies) is important. Flood the equipment with water, or use a carbon
dioxide CO2 extinguisher. Control of the equipment fire, and cooling, may
provent the battery from venting and potentially exposing Iithium metaf. In
the event that lithium metal becomes involved in fire, the use of a graphite
based Class D fire extinguisher is recommended.
DO NOT store lithium batteries in unused equipment.
DO NOT store lithium batteries with other hazardous materials. Keep them
away from open flame or heat.